2009年12月19日土曜日

Christmas fun!

I can't believe it is less than a week until Christmas! It has come around very quickly and I am totally disorganised. Well we have the food side of things pretty much sorted but I have done hardly any shopping for presents. I don't have that many people too buy for but still I had better get my butt into gear. We planned to buy a bike for Liam but now it appears jiichan is going to buy it for him but still pretend it's from Santa. I have a few other things for him but as he is going to get totally spoilt by other people I might just leave it at that. We are off to Toys R Us tomorrow though so something could jump at me. Ryuji is convinced that he needs something Kamen Rider or Shinkenja related but I think he could live without them!

My mum arrived on the 11th and has been a huge help. Liam is so much happier as I think with both Ryuji and I being pretty busy with work he was feeling a little attention deprived. He is getting heaps now from mum though and I also have more time to spend with him as I don't have to worry about doing everything around the house too. He has taken the month of daycare and seems to be perfectly happy about that too. He will be 5 in April and as he will start school in two years we had been thinking about doing the "normal" thing and sending him to the local daycare full time. As we live in the sticks the nearest kindy is a 30 minute bus ride away so most people around here do the daycare thing for at least 2 years. There is a daycare just down the road from us and I went and checked it out with a friend a couple of weeks and was almost ready to hand in the application papers when I had a sudden change of heart. New baby is due in April and my mum will be coming over again a week or so before my due date and staying for about 3 months and then I plan to go back to Australia with her for about 6 weeks with Liam and bub. We would have to pay about 30,000 yen a month for daycare and if we didn't want to pay while we were in Australia we would have to officially take him out and then re enrol him when we got back. As I won't be working at all our finances won't be very healthy so I have been wondering if it's really worth it. I talked to both Ryuji and mum about it and they both seem to think it's okay if he doesn't go so I think that's what is going to happen. I'm sure people around the place will think we are terrible parents but I don't really care. I will make an effort to do lots of educational stuff with him at home and make more of an effort to work on his English reading and writing.

In baby news, I had my 22 week appointment yesterday. I was worried about getting in trouble for my weight gain as I seemed to put on about 2kg in the week after my previous visit but with some sensible (or maybe not so sensible?) eating over the couple of days before my appointment all was okay! I have to go back again after the New Year though which might not be pretty at all lol. No luck again in finding out the sex either! This time, baby was lying horizontally across my belly with his/her legs jammed together! Rather disappointing but funny in a way too! I knew with Liam by the time he was 20 weeks so this baby is certainly making us wait and giving me way too much time to think about what it is.

My brother and his wife flew into Osaka tonight and hopefully will be at their hotel or making their way there. They are probably freezing as they are coming from the Australian summer where temperatures have been in the mid 30s. I hope they managed to find some warm clothes to bring with them. They are spending the day tomorrow in Kyoto with our Japanese friend Nami who did a homestay with us when I was at high school. They are then making their way down to Yamaguchi on Tuesday afternoon. We are all really looking forward to seeing them and Liam is counting down the days on the calendar. Mum and I spent the day getting ready for their arrival. We are going to give them our bedroom and Ryuji and I will bunk in with Liam. A friend has lent us a double futon so I think I will make Ryuji and Liam sleep on it and I will get the bed.

Mum and I did the usual pre-Christmas visit to Costco last Sunday. We left Liam at home with Ryuji which was a very good idea as it was manic. We arrived around 9:40 and at that stage there wasn't a line so we decided to wait in the car a bit. When we went back around 9:50 though there was quite a long line. We got our shopping done by about 11:30 but the lines at the registers were horrendous - probably 30m long. I had never seen it like that! We finally got out and after dumping all our purchases in the car had a walk around the rest of the complex. I was happy to find the Gap that I heard had opened there recently and was even happier to see they had sales on. Mum and I got a red cardigan which we are going to share and I got a pair of cords for Liam. We also had a look at the newborn stuff which was very cute.

I am off to Fukuoka again on Tuesday with my Aussie friend as she has go to the consulate to get her new baby's passport. She is leaving her two older kids and I am leaving Liam and we are going to enjoy a day of shopping, Starbucks and other fun. I so have to get my Christmas shopping done too.

Mum brought me over two blocks of cadbury choc which seem to be calling my name now. All I seem to have done today is eat but I have at least 2 weeks until my next doctor's appointment :-)

7 件のコメント:

  1. sounds like you are going to have a great Xmas with your family there to celebrate with you (am jealous!! but not as jealous as seeing that you have TWO blocks of cadbury chocolate, hahah!)

    good luck at Toys'R'Us tomorrow. Hope you find a cool present for Liam - there is so much stuff there I wanted to buy too, but I feel the K is going to go into sensory overload as it is with all the stuff she has been sent from family at home, etc, so I actually ended up only getting her a Dora book for Xmas. But once you get to the store, it is kinda hard to avoid jumping on the consumerism train....lol.

    and here's hoping baby opens their legs for the next ultrasound scan for you!

    返信削除
  2. Wow, you have loads of your family across - what a lovely way to spend the hols! Hope you all have a great time :)

    返信削除
  3. A fullhouse sounds like home!! So many people to talk too and help out. I am envioussssss!

    Have a great time with everyone, it really will be a Merry Christmas!!!!

    返信削除
  4. Sounds like a great Christmas coming up with all the family around. Wishing you a Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year...

    返信削除
  5. Having family around at Christmas time definitely makes a difference, doesn't it!! I hope you are have a wonderful time with everyone!

    I can't believe bub still hasn't cooperated with you to reveal his/her sex! I hope you find out at your next appointment. I have my fingers and toes crossed for you!

    I have gained nearly 2 kgs since mum arrived :( I know I am going to be getting into trouble at my next appointment...

    返信削除
  6. TJ, Toys R Us was crazy as expected but I managed to come away without much which was good. Jiichan bought him his bike so we got him a helmet and a few little things to put in his stocking.

    Umebossy, it is lovely having lots of family here for xmas. Especially for Liam as he is getting more excited by it every year. Hope you have a great xmas too!

    Achan, thanks for commenting! I love having a house full of people and all the help and English chat is of course wonderful. Hope your family has a wonderful Christmas!

    Desley, I hope you and the fam have a lovely Christmas! It must be freezing up there! Stay warm and eat and drink lots of yummy things!

    Hi Nay! You must be having a great time with your mum. Ouch about the 2kg weight gain but I think the doctors must half expect all pregnant women to put on weight over xmas and New Year! I have been going totally overboard since my appointment so am too scared to weigh myself lol! Thanks for the finger and toe crossing! I will be definitely disappointed if I don't find out at my next appointment.

    返信削除
  7. Glad your appointment went well but shame you couldn`t find out the sex- hopefully next time bub will be more cooperative.

    It is so nice your mum is coming over for three months once baby comes- WOW! I am so jealous. My mum arrives tomorrow for 3 weeks and I wish she could stay longer but she has to go back to work. My dad might visit in February though (he says he is going to but it is six weeks away and he hasn`t booked anything so it might not happen- he can be a bit ditzy) and my brother and his gf are visiting end of March so I have a few visitors to look forward to.

    Can`t wait to go crazy buying presents next year for Noah- going to have to try and keep them small though as since we will hopefully be in Australia for Christmas we still have to remember that we need to bring them BACK to Japan. Might end up sending them home! hehe!

    Merry Christmas! Enjoy your day!

    返信削除